You can't handle the truth!

Two economists and a psychologist analyzed 30,000 online dating ads. Half were from Boston, the other half from San Diego. Some of their findings:

- More than 4% of online daters claimed to earn more than $200,000, whereas fewer than 1% of typical internet users actually earn that much, suggesting that three of the four big earners were exaggerating.

- Both male and females typically reported that they are about an inch taller than the national average.

- As for weight, the men were in line with the national average.

Women typically said they weighed about 20 pounds less than the national average. "Most impressively, fully 70 percent of the women claimed "above average" looks, including 24 percent claiming "very good looks". This leaves only about 30 percent of the users with "average" looks, including a paltry 1% with "less than average" looks - which suggests that the typical online dater is either a fabulist, a narcissist, or simply resistant to the meanining of "average".

-Twenty eight percent of the women on the site said they were blond, a number far beyond the national average, which indicates a lot of dyeing, lying or both."

source: Freakonomics, pp. 80 - 81.
authors: Steven Levitt abd Stephen Dubner
copyright: 2005

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just because the national average for blond women is a certain number, it doesn't mean a proportionate amount will use personal ads, in fact im not suprised there are more blonds than the 'average'. men prefer brunettes, hence the single blonds.

this applies to all results in someway. but it is interesting to read.

26 July, 2005 05:35  
Blogger Stephen said...

Well, I'm not dating (I'm happily married), so I guess that is why I'm willing to confess to being 5'5" and I used to be blond (before I turned gray).

;)

30 July, 2005 00:19  

<< Home